The San Francisco Standard is hiring a full-time Art Director interested in inspiring, delighting and moving our readers through rich visuals, immersive digital storytelling, thoughtfully-designed interactives, and more.
As the Art Director, you will be heavily involved in the day-to-day strategic decisions for art within articles, multimedia pieces, web experiences, and more. We are looking for an experienced and highly talented creative practitioner who is excited to push the boundaries of news, content, information, and media in an evolving digital landscape.
About the Role
We believe the ideal candidate will have the following skills, experience, and traits; however, we encourage you to apply regardless.
- 5+ years of art direction experience or equivalent creative leadership
- Breadth of experience across mediums (e.g. photography, motion, design, advertising, editorial, digital, print, others)–you will have the opportunity to wear many hats in this role.
- Experience maintaining art production processes and workflows that effectively balance velocity, craft, and quality.
- Discerning visual sensibilities and a portfolio to back it up.
- A proven ability to communicate and execute your artistic vision.
- Experience driving strategic design decisions and managing multiple stakeholders.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, particularly when providing rationale or advocating for design directions.
- Experience in a newsroom is a plus, but not a requirement.
- A desire to create work that helps San Franciscans feel more connected to their city.
- Familiarity and expertise with the Adobe Creative Suite and other design tools as needed (e.g. Figma)
If interested, please apply with a link to your portfolio/past work.
About The Standard
Our mission is to help San Franciscans know their city. Through our reporting, content, and editorial products, we aim to inspire anyone with a stake in San Francisco to better understand, connect with, and relate to the things that make S.F. tick. Whether it’s an obscure permitting process or the mom ‘n’ pop store that opened down the street, we want to help people feel more connected to San Francisco through high-quality, trustworthy, and accurate reporting and coverage.
We encourage you to apply even if you don’t fit the conventional requirements of the job