The San Francisco Standard has a full-time opening for an associate photography editor. The successful candidate will report to our Photography Editor and will be responsible for assisting in the creation and staging of stunning visual photographic imagery for the SF Standard news site and social media channels. The individual will be responsible for arranging photo assignments for staff photographers and freelance photographers as well as other duties including captioning, photo selection for site and social, and more. This photography editor will coordinate with reporters and editors across The Standard to ensure accurate and engaging photography for stories.
The ideal candidate has a minimum of two years of professional experience in photography editing, and is comfortable working collaboratively in a fast-paced and sometimes high-pressure environment. The successful candidate should have outstanding visual skills, planning/management experience and excellent news judgment.
- Work with staff photographers and freelancers to conceptualize, assign, edit, direct and produce photography for website and social, on both a daily and feature-story basis under the direction of our Photography Editor.
- Ensure the quality and accuracy of our photos and captions
- Work a late shift (approximately 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.) to assist in photography editing for evening stories and prep for early morning stories publishing the following day
- Assist in art direction for illustrations with the design department
- Assist in taking photos, as needed
- Assist in creating basic illustrations or designs, as needed
- Upkeep and maintain the SF Standard’s Media Asset Management tool, including improving workflows and processes, for photography assets
- Minimum of 1-3 years of experience in a newsroom or similar environment as a photojournalist or photography editor
- Willingness to work flexible hours including late and/or last-minute scheduling changes in a fast-moving production environment
- Outstanding photo curating skills and photo editing skills
- Highly organized and able to juggle multiple projects, with strong communication skills, both written and spoken
- Technically proficient with the Adobe Creative Cloud, WordPress, and MAM tools
- Excellent journalism ethics and news judgment, plus excellent knowledge of journalism ethics and copyright laws as it pertains to publication of photography
- Basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign/Illustrator
- A passion for San Francisco news and stories
We are an in-office company and the role thus requires physical presence in the Bay Area. We offer very competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
The pay range for this role is $75,000 to $110,000. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t fit the preferred qualifications of the job.