The San Francisco Standard is expanding its team and looking for a creative journalist to help us grow our social video storytelling. We are seeking an associate producer to create and distribute native short-form video across our social media accounts, with a particular focus on TikTok and Instagram. You are the right candidate if you can create social-first content that is smart, local and sparks conversation.
The ideal candidate is passionate about social video and knowledgeable about what resonates across different platforms. They will have experience editing and/or hosting videos in the style of each platform and understand what type of video engages audiences who are accustomed to scrolling past content quickly. They can write sharp scripts, headlines and other social copy with flair while maintaining impeccable editorial accuracy.
The associate producer will work directly with The Standard’s video team, social team and reporters. They will report to the director of multimedia.
- Pitch, write, produce and distribute native social video on The San Francisco Standard’s social accounts, including TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and more
- Work closely across our newsroom—with the video team, social team and beat reporters, among others—to generate great social content
- Identify and execute on smart, original angles for social storytelling, with a capacity to translate complex written stories into a 60-second reel or TikTok
- Write sharp social video headlines, scripts and copy
- Appear on camera to host social videos as needed & as it fits the story
- Maintain a social video calendar and plan ahead for coverage
- Handle publishing logistics and streamline our workflow for social video
- Keep up to date on industry trends, strategies and production methods
- Educate existing staff on filming remote video as needed
- Publish 2-3 social videos a day
The Ideal Candidate Has:
- Minimum 2 years experience in the news industry
- Demonstrable experience creating shareable content and building audiences on social media
- Video editing experience using Adobe Premiere Pro; a firm grasp of complementary Adobe Creative Cloud software including Photoshop is an asset
- An interest in politics, civics and San Francisco—this is a local publication after all!
Does this sound great to you? If interested, please apply with a link to your portfolio/past work and a cover letter telling us why you’re a fit for the role.
About The Standard
Our mission is to help San Franciscans know their city. Through our reporting, content, and products, we aim to inspire anyone with a stake in San Francisco to better understand, connect with, and relate to the things that make S.F. tick. Whether it’s an obscure permitting process or the mom ‘n’ pop store that opened down the street, we want to help people feel more connected to San Francisco through high-quality, trustworthy, and accurate reporting and coverage. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t fit the conventional requirements of the job.