The San Francisco Standard is hiring a full-time Director of Technology responsible for the technology stack and infrastructure that powers the newsroom. In this role, you will work closely with editorial, design, and other stakeholders to build the present and future of our newsroom tech engine, optimizing for ease of use, performance, and availability.
The ideal candidate for this role will have experience managing a small team of engineers, but will also be eager to contribute individually.
We believe the right candidate will have the following qualifications and background but encourage you to apply regardless:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience
- A minimum of 5 years working as a software engineer
- Experience managing a team of 3-5 engineers
- News and media experience is helpful and relevant, but not required
- Project management and technical management skills; you will be responsible for coordinating the work of engineers and yourself based on priorities as determined by you, editorial leadership, and other stakeholders
- Proven ability to communciate effectively with non-technical leadership and stakeholders
- Bug and feature management, technical roadmap management, establishing on-call rotations if/as-needed
- Experience working with WordPress or other CRMs
- Experience building custom CRMs, evaluating CRM providers, and making tradeoffs between custom and off-the-shelf solutions
About The Standard
Our mission is to help San Franciscans know their city. Through our reporting, content, and editorial projects, we aim to inspire anyone with a stake in San Francisco to better understand, connect with, and relate to the things that make S.F. tick. Whether it’s an obscure permitting process or the mom ‘n’ pop store that opened down the street, we want to help people feel more connected to San Francisco through high-quality, trustworthy, and accurate reporting and coverage.
We encourage you to apply even if you don’t fit the conventional requirements of the job.