A Tesla Model S "spontaneously caught fire" on Highway 50 at around 3:41 p.m., Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District officials said Saturday.
Officials said the fire took approximately 6,000 gallons of water to extinguish as the vehicle's "battery cells continued to combust."
The fire was eventually extinguished but the car had to be jacked up to allow the battery cells to cool, the fire district said on Twitter.
No one was injured during the incident.
Crews arrived to a Tesla Model S engulfed in flames, nothing unusual prior. 2 Fire Engines, a water tender, and a ladder truck were requested to assist. Crews used jacks to access the underside to extinguish and cool the battery. Thousands of gallons were used in extinguishment. pic.twitter.com/5dIXxo9hP5— Metro Fire of Sacramento (@metrofirepio) January 29, 2023
The Standard Staff can be reached at [email protected]