The San Francisco Standard is seeking a dynamic and passionate Audience Engagement Editor to join our team. This is an opportunity to play a key role in shaping social strategy and audience engagement for a rapidly expanding digital newsroom. Our ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and TikTok; experience with newsletters; search engine optimization skills; and a curiosity about other audience engagement techniques ranging from text messaging to in-person events. This editor should have a knack for drawing in both large audiences and expanding our reach, while deepening our connection to and understanding of our most loyal readers and viewers.
- Optimize content for social platforms and execute daily posting across various platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok and more
- Track breaking news and trending topics to keep the newsroom informed
- Track comments and respond to audience as appropriate, liaising with editorial team on critical concerns
- Develop a deep understanding of our audiences across various platforms; engage with our social followers
- Monitor performance across social channels and develop ways to optimize our social strategy
- Conceive and help create social-first or social-only content in coordination with editorial team
- Contribute to the development of growth strategies across all social channels
- Maintain proficiency and knowledge in latest social media technologies and best practices (i.e. new tools, algorithm changes, platform enhancements)
- Monitor performance of newsletters and grow newsletter audience; help develop newsletter offerings
- Conceive and execute new audience engagement strategies such as text messaging, in-person events, etc.
- At least 3 years of experience in a newsroom environment, with at least 2 years of experience on social media/audience engagement.
- Bachelors degree in journalism or a related field, or equivalent work experience
- Strong news judgment and excellent writing and copy-editing skills, including mastery of AP Style
- Experience with a variety of social media platforms and managing social media accounts for large audiences
- Knowledge of digital media trends and emerging platforms
- Understanding of search engine optimization techniques and best practices
- Proficiency in metrics-based decision making with an emphasis on reading and interpreting data
- Ability to be both a self-starter and team player; strong interpersonal and communication skills are required
- Ability to multitask, balance priorities and thrive in a fast-paced newsroom environment
- Highly organized with excellent attention to detail
- Passion for all things social
This job may require night and/or weekend work.
We are an in-office company and the role thus requires physical presence in the Bay Area. We offer very competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
The pay range for this role is $75,000 to $110,000. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t fit the preferred qualifications of the job.