The San Francisco Standard is hiring a Design Director to lead design strategy and production in the newsroom. This role will collaborate closely with senior editorial leadership to ensure the newsroom speaks with one visual voice across all articles, interactives, special projects, social media, and more. This is a comprehensive and expansive design leadership role.
The ideal candidate will be excited to manage a small team of creatives and be eager to contribute individually to the production of design assets and artifacts on a regular basis.
- 8+ years of experience managing a design team, or equivalent creative management
- Expert knowledge of modern design tools, including Adobe Creative Suite, Figma, and others
- Experience working with technical teams and editorial teams/newsrooms
- Keen intuition for process and pace; you know how and when to set up new workflows or processes to streamline design production
- Strong portfolio of design work spanning a number of mediums and disciplines, including print, social media, web design, layout, and more
- Excellent communication skills; proven ability and experience balancing stakeholder priorities, soliciting helpful feedback, and mentoring individual contributors
- Deep experience in a newsroom environment
- Experience managing service design teams in a sustainable manner
About The Standard
Our mission is to help San Franciscans know their city. Through our reporting, content, and editorial projects, we aim to inspire anyone with a stake in San Francisco to better understand, connect with, and relate to the things that make S.F. tick. Whether it’s an obscure permitting process or the mom ‘n’ pop store that opened down the street, we want to help people feel more connected to San Francisco through high-quality, trustworthy, and accurate reporting and coverage.
We encourage you to apply even if you don’t fit the conventional requirements of the job.