The San Francisco Standard has a full-time opening for a staff photographer. The candidate will report to our Photography Editor and will be responsible for creating stunning and impactful visual photographic imagery for the SF Standard news site and social media channels.
The ideal candidate has at least 5 years of professional experience in photojournalism and is comfortable working collaboratively in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment. The successful candidate should have outstanding visual skills, planning/management experience and excellent news judgment. A passion for San Francisco news and stories would be a strong plus.
A successful candidate should also possess a portfolio of breaking news, portraits, features, sports and visually-driven long-form enterprise work and a strong sense of ethics as it relates to visual reporting on the news. Excellent reporting and writing skills are paramount, as the photographer will be expected to provide not only imagery, but detailed and accurate captions and accompanying reporting.
Still photography will be the candidate’s primary medium, but they should have experience with videography and an eagerness to experiment with an array of new tools and presentation formats. The staff photographer will be expected to embrace and contribute to our real-time reporting on the ground.
- Execute a range of weekly photographic assignments from breaking news, sports to climate.
- Operate as a journalist in the field and assist with news reporting unprompted by gathering quotes, in-field reporting while simultaneously capturing visual assets.
- When not in the field, the staff photographer will be required to report to the newsroom 4 days per week for meetings, reviews, presentations, etc.
- Contribute regularly to general story ideation in meetings and expanding ideas and seeing more opportunities while in the field.
- Commitment to telling personal and meaningful human-interest stories about San Franciscans and their city.
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with colleagues, subjects, media / PR teams.
- Ability to write accurate captions and process images while on deadline.
- Portfolio of compelling and versatile still photojournalism, including sports, long-term documentary stories and some video.
- Experience as a staff photographer or internships at news organizations with at least 5 years experience in the field.
- Proficient with on-camera and off-camera flash photography and working knowledge of DSLR video.
- High degree of confidence in photographing within any environment including but not limited to protests, wildfires, disaster zones, medical facilities that may include Covid patients.
- Bachelor’s degree in photography, photojournalism or a related field, an equivalent combination of education and experience may be acceptable.
- A strong understanding of San Francisco Bay Area culture, history and political climate.
- Excellent journalism ethics and news judgment.
- Demonstrated interest in innovation and ongoing development of the technical and aesthetic elements of your photography.
- Professional knowledge of Photoshop, Photo Mechanic, Premiere and other photo editing software.
- Willingness to travel and work evenings and weekends.
- Working driver’s license.
- Drone pilot license is desired, but not required.
We are an in-office company and the role thus requires physical presence in the Bay Area. We offer very competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume, cover letter and online portfolio explaining why you are the best candidate for the job.
About The Standard
Our mission is to help San Franciscans know their city. We aim to inspire readers to better understand, connect with and relate to the things that make SF tick. Whether it’s an obscure permitting process or the mom ‘n’ pop store that opened down the street, we help people connect to San Francisco through high-quality, trustworthy coverage.
We encourage you to apply even if you don’t fit the conventional requirements of the job.