After an attempted armed robbery on two photographers at the Palace of Fine Arts Wednesday, the venue criticized the city over crime at tourist sites.
The incidents were first reported by our partners at ABC7 News over the weekend.
Footage captured by a witness and obtained by ABC7 shows two men with guns attacking a Dallas-based photographer, while a couple in wedding attire look on in horror.
The photographer has since denounced the venue, saying he would never shoot there again. He successfully managed to fight off the attackers and kept hold of his equipment.
He did not want to be identified, but told ABC7: “I was just freaked out. I tried to protect the client’s memories. The bride was crying the whole time.”
A second robbery at gunpoint took place earlier that day at the same venue, ABC7 reports.
The Palace of Fine Arts has since described the incident as “a very scary situation.”
“Crime in and around tourist destinations has been on the rise; we see our fair amount of car smash and grabs,” said the palace theater’s managing director, Jason Hoover. “It is all our hope that the city begins to take a hard look at effective solutions to prevent this type of crime. It is damaging to our business but, more importantly, sets a negative image and perception of SF.”
San Francisco police says it is investigating the incident that occurred on Nov. 9. at approximately 4:40 p.m.
A police department spokesperson said: “At this time, the investigation is analyzing evidence to positively identify the suspects. Anyone with information is asked to contact the SFPD at (415) 575-4444 or text a tip to TIP411 and begin the message with SFPD.”
The Standard Staff can be reached at [email protected]