A Tesla Model S "spontaneously caught fire" on Highway 50 at around 3:41 p.m., Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District officials said Saturday.
Officials said the fire took approximately 6,000 gallons of water to extinguish as the vehicle's "battery cells continued to combust."
The fire was eventually extinguished but the car had to be jacked up to allow the battery cells to cool, the fire district said on Twitter.
No one was injured during the incident.
Questions, comments or concerns about this article may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org