Skip to main content

Scooter sparks fire in San Francisco apartment, 1 seriously injured

File photo of a commuter riding an e-scooter in San Francisco. | Source: Photo by Paul Chinn/San Francisco Chronicle via Getty Images

A person was seriously injured after an e-scooter caught fire in a San Francisco apartment Monday morning. The scooter was plugged into the wall when it burst into flames, according to fire department officials.

Firefighters responded to the scene at 168 Hyde St. in the Tenderloin shortly before 8 a.m. on Monday. They found two people outside the apartment, one with serious burn injuries and the other unharmed. The e-scooter appeared to have been extinguished by the building's sprinkler system.

READ MORE: San Francisco’s Electric Scooter Deaths and Injuries Shot Up Since Pandemic

The injured victim was taken to a local burn unit for treatment, officials said.

San Francisco fire spokesperson Lt. Jonathan Baxter said the incident is a "good reminder" to follow e-scooter manufacturer instructions, use the recommended charging cable and not leave lithium-ion batteries unattended while charging.