Skip to main content
News

San Francisco Chinese consulate reopens after crash, fatal shooting

The Chinese flag at the Consulate General of The People’s Republic of China in San Francisco on Tuesday, October 10, 2023. San Francisco police on Monday shot and killed a man who a police source said was armed with a crossbow after he rammed a car into the Chinese consulate.
San Francisco police on Monday shot and killed a man who was armed with a crossbow after he rammed a car into the Chinese consulate. | Source: Jason Henry for The Standard

The Chinese consulate announced it will reopen its doors and resume operations Thursday after San Francisco police shot and killed a man armed with a crossbow who crashed a car inside its doors Monday afternoon

Some residents and visitors planning travels and seeking visas to China had come to the consulate earlier in the week, only to find its doors closed in response to the crash and shooting's aftermath.

Although some businesses were closed Monday for Indigenous People's Day and Columbus Day, a source inside the consulate said Monday was a normal work day for staff. Employees evacuated the building after the incident.

The Chinese Consulate reopened its doors and resumed operations on Thursday, Oct. 12 after San Francisco police shot and killed a man who was armed with a crossbow after he rammed a car into the building on Monday, October 9. | Source: Han Li/The Standard

Police and emergency vehicles first swarmed the area around Laguna Street and Geary Boulevard Monday afternoon. The fire department initially said a suspect had been taken to a hospital with serious injuries, but San Francisco Police Department spokesperson Kathryn Winters said around 6:30 p.m. that he had died. 

Police tape in the median of Geary Boulevard near the Consulate General of The People’s Republic of China in San Francisco is seen on Tuesday. | Source: Jason Henry for The Standard

The incident prompted strong statements from the Chinese government, which said the "extremely bad" incursion had seriously damaged the building and endangered workers. "The mission severely condemns this violent attack and reserves the right to pursue responsibilities related to the incident," the consulate said in a statement. 

The Chinese Consulate reopened its doors and resumed operations on Thursday, Oct. 12 after San Francisco police shot and killed a man who was armed with a crossbow after he rammed a car into the building on Monday, October 9. | Source: Han Li/The Standard

MORE: Driver Who Crashed Into San Francisco’s Chinese Consulate Was Armed With Crossbow

"Our mission has made solemn representations to the United States, demanding that the truth be quickly ascertained and dealt with seriously in accordance with the law." 

San Francisco police have said they were working with the U.S. State Department to investigate. On Thursday morning, the city's Office of the Medical Examiner released the identity of the driver. Police have not discussed what might have motivated his actions.

George Kelly can be reached at gkelly@sfstandard.com

Filed Under