Skip to main content

Teen Surrenders After Cross-Bay Chase in Stolen Car, CHP Says

Written by Bay City NewsPublished Aug. 26, 2023 • 11:23am
A pair of handcuffs on a wooden surface.
During the chase, the stolen car crashed into several vehicles in the driver's attempts to escape and injured a police K-9, the CHP said. | Source: Bernd Wüstneck/Picture alliance via Getty Images

A teenager driving a stolen car led police on a high-speed chase from Contra Costa County to San Francisco, then back across the Bay Bridge to Richmond, where he surrendered after a standoff, the California Highway Patrol said Friday.

During the course of the chase, the stolen car crashed into several vehicles in the driver's attempts to escape and injured a police K-9 dog, the CHP said.

The chase began about 3:20 p.m. when a Contra Costa County Sheriff's deputy attempted to stop a white Infiniti traveling west on Highway 4, police said.

READ MORE: Driver Leads CHP on Pursuit From East Bay to San Francisco and Back Again

The stolen car fled onto westbound Interstate 80, where the sheriff's deputy discontinued his pursuit for the safety of other drivers, the CHP said. But a Contra Costa County Sheriff's helicopter took over and followed the car, police said.

The stolen car continued across the Bay Bridge into San Francisco and around Downtown city streets.

When it appeared the car was boxed in, a CHP officer brought out his K-9 in anticipation of a possible foot chase, the highway patrol said. But the stolen car's driver kept going, striking two other vehicles and hitting the dog, police said. 

The dog suffered non-life-threatening injuries and was taken to a veterinarian for evaluation, the CHP said.

The car returned to the Bay Bridge, heading east this time and then north on I-80 to Richmond.

The driver abandoned the car near Fleming Avenue and Ells Street and fled on foot into a nearby apartment complex, the CHP said.

The apartment units were surrounded by police and evacuated. The driver remained in hiding despite numerous orders to come out, police said. 

Just after 9 p.m., officers used loudspeakers to again ask the driver to give up, and he surrendered, the CHP said.

Police did not release the name of the driver because he is a juvenile.

Questions, comments or concerns about this article may be sent to

A pair of handcuffs on a wooden surface.

San Francisco Man Arrested on Suspicion of Elder Abuse in Muni Attack

A red and gray bus

San Francisco to Reroute Buses For Annual Catholic Pilgrimage

Students hold up a banner that reads "Rise Up for Palestine."

San Francisco Public Schools Investigate Pro-Palestine Group After Parent Complaints

The San Francisco Police Department announced Friday it is offering a $25,000 reward for information about an August shooting which left a 22-year-old man dead.

Police Offer $25K Reward for Info on San Francisco Shooting

view of buildings at Crissy Field

Trans Sex Worker Killed Client at Crissy Field After Dispute Over Her Gender, Feds Say