The federal trial of the man accused of attacking Nancy Pelosi’s husband with a hammer will begin almost a year to the day after the brutal beating last year.
David DePape is accused by state and federal prosecutors of striking Paul Pelosi, 87, with a hammer in his San Francisco home on Oct. 28, 2022. The federal trial will start Oct. 23 of this year, when he will face charges of attempted kidnapping of a federal officer or employee and the assault of an immediate family member of a federal official.
When police responded to the Pelosi home they found Mr. Pelosi and DePape struggling over a hammer. DePape gained control of the hammer and struck Pelosi before officers were able to reach and detain DePape, officials said. Pelosi fell to the ground and suffered a fractured skull and other injuries, which required surgery. Footage released from police bodycams appeared to corroborate the accounts of the responding officers.
DePape’s federal public defender, Angela Chuang, did not respond to a request for comment.
Charges in his San Francisco Superior Court case include attempted murder, first-degree residential burglary, elder abuse, assault with a deadly weapon, false imprisonment and threatening a family member of a public official.
He has pleaded not guilty to all charges in both cases.
While DePape has a status hearing in San Francisco Superior Court Wednesday for the state charges—he is not expected to appear— his attorney Adam Lipson said no trial date has been scheduled.
Jonah Owen Lamb can be reached at [email protected]