Skip to main content

Suspect in fatal San Francisco shooting released days after arrest

The victim's mother says she's left in limbo after hearing that authorities released the person of interest due to insufficient evidence. | Source: Camille Cohen for The Standard

A suspect in the 2022 fatal shooting of a 20-year-old man in the Lower Haight has been released no more than 48 hours since his arrest, according to the victim's mother.

Delvon Carter, 25, was jailed Wednesday in South San Francisco after authorities said they found probable cause to obtain a no-bail arrest warrant in the murder of Carlos Discua, according to San Francisco police and the victim's mother who asked not to be named due to fear of retaliation.

According to police, Discua was shot and killed around 9:15 p.m. on June 30, 2022, on Rose Street between Buchanan and Webster streets. He was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

More than a year passed before his mother heard any significant update about the investigation.

"A few days ago an investigator with the police department had called me and had said they were getting ready for an arrest," she said, "because they had enough evidence and the person to have an arrest warrant sent out."

Additionally, Discua's mother said she was notified that another suspect in her son's death, 35-year-old Kameron Kaywood, was jailed without bail in Contra Costa County for an unrelated case.

Police say Carter was booked into San Francisco jail Wednesday on suspicion of murder.

Yet, according to a San Francisco District Attorney's Office spokesperson, Carter was released with the murder charge against him "discharged at this time pending further investigation."

Though he has not been booked in San Francisco for Discua's murder, Kaywood remains in custody at the Martinez Detention Facility, according to Contra Costa County jail records. He is scheduled to appear again in court on July 31.

Discua's mother said she spoke with the San Francisco District Attorney's Office Friday morning but was told that there was insufficient evidence to keep Carter in jail. Hearing that, she said, felt like a bucket of ice dumped on her.

"It was mixed emotions," she said. "I got upset and we were on the phone for over an hour with them explaining the legalities—which I understand, but then again don't because why would you go through all this just to let him back out?"

Investigators told her they planned to interview Kaywood in Martinez but that they weren't sure what would happen as a result of it, she told The Standard.

"It's frustrating," she said. "It's been 13 months already and I felt yesterday like I could finally get some closure and understand what happened—but nothing. We're back to square one. Just to go back to square one is just frustrating."

Although she said she is awaiting any word on her son's case from police, she is trying to wrap her head around what comes next.

"I'm in the nowhere," she said. "I'm in the limbo now."